Welcome to the #1 Audi S3 Forum and Audi S3 community dedicated to Audi S3 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Audi S3 Forum today!

2017 Audi S3 Recall 69Q3 - Wiperblade TSB 2020552/6

KenMoore

Reactions
State
OK
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Audi S3
Good news, the software reprogramming for the aggressive passenger airbag was completed in less than 30 minutes. I also mentioned to the service folks that the bottom 1/3 of my wiper blade stutter-steps when the wiper is actually working in falling rain. It works fine when it's just being used intermittently. They polished the window with 3M glass polish per TSB 2020552/6. Well, it was raining on the drive home and my wiper still skips, drags, or whatever you want to call it. Has anyone else experienced this? They said they would replace the blade the next time I stop by.

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Did you get a letter in the mail about this? I have received any information about this TSB

OP
KenMoore

KenMoore

Reactions
State
OK
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Audi S3
Thread Starter #3
No I hadn't received any notice regarding the wiperblade but there must be a known issue because my paperwork states: verified customer complaint. Found TSB 2020552/6 - Exterior glass cleaning applies to this vehicle. Per TSB. Cleaned Wiper Blades. Applied 3M Polish to windshield. Polished windshield. Unable to duplicate customer complaint after TSB performed.
Unfortunately, I had a 1 hour drive home in the rain and had plenty of time to watch it jerk across the glass. The good news is: the Service Dept at the dealership I go to are the best and I am sure it will all get resolved. I was just wondering if anyone else had the same problem. Cheers for now.

S3Fan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
[MENTION=445]KenMoore[/MENTION] did they just apply a regular polish or is it something more permanent? Mine also sticks a bit during light rain.

OP
KenMoore

KenMoore

Reactions
State
OK
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Audi S3
Thread Starter #5
I asked the service guy if the 3M polish could be purchased at a local parts store and he told me I would have to special order it. I checked Amazon and found some 3M glass polish that was 65$ and sounded more like a rubbing compound for glass. Needless to say I'm opting for a replacement wiper blade.

I have a Ford F-150 and the passenger side wiper blade, about a ft of the outside blade doesn't even come in contact with window. My understanding is this is normal for Ford F-150s. I'm hoping that this is just an issue with the blade itself. Who wants to have to manually activate thier wiper to get it to work properly. As caveat I should mention that the malfunction occurs in auto mode at it's slowest setting with plenty of rain on the window to be swiped.

Thanks for the input. I feel guilty after reading the thread of the couple that may have purchased a 2017 lemon and all I have to complain about is the wiper blade.

Last edited:

SW_S3

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Audi S3
Mine skips at the far left side exactly as described. The wiper is also touching the trim sometimes, makes a noise so I will need to adjust the arm lower, there is no reason for the arm to go as far left as it does. I will check the blade but the car is 5 months old so should be OK. I will ask about the TSB, thanks!

Also I emailed local service guy about the airbag recall the day it was posted here, no response yet. [MENTION=445]KenMoore[/MENTION] agreed on lemon but seriously these cars should have working wipers for $50k [bigcry] ! The dealer should have replaced the wiper and handed you the old one n/c.

S3Fan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
Agreed in the grand scheme our troubles are very minor, but like you said something so small shouldn't happen with a $50k car.

I asked the service guy if the 3M polish could be purchased at a local parts store and he told me I would have to special order it. I checked Amazon and found some 3M glass polish that was 65$ and sounded more like a rubbing compound for glass. Needless to say I'm opting for a replacement wiper blade.

I have a Ford F-150 and the passenger side wiper blade, about a ft of the outside blade doesn't even come in contact with window. My understanding is this is normal for Ford F-150s. I'm hoping that this is just an issue with the blade itself. Who wants to have to manually activate thier wiper to get it to work properly. As caveat I should mention that the malfunction occurs in auto mode at it's slowest setting with plenty of rain on the window to be swiped.

Thanks for the input. I feel guilty after reading the thread of the couple that may have purchased a 2017 lemon and all I have to complain about is the wiper blade.

OP
KenMoore

KenMoore

Reactions
State
OK
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Audi S3
Thread Starter #8
So the dealership replaced both wipe blades yesterday and we are expecting at least 3" of rain this weekend. I will let the group know next week if the problem is solved.

4/26/17 Follow up: The wiper no longer skips. Now I have a light squeak when the wiper is working in the rain. It doesn't squeak with washer fluid just the rain. I'm waiting to hear back from the shop foreman.

Last edited:
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Under warranty or did they charge you? Figured wipers are a wear item and not covered.

So the dealership replaced both wipe blades yesterday and we are expecting at least 3" of rain this weekend. I will let the group know next week if the problem is solved.

4/26/17 Follow up: The wiper no longer skips. Now I have a light squeak when the wiper is working in the rain. It doesn't squeak with washer fluid just the rain. I'm waiting to hear back from the shop foreman.

OP
KenMoore

KenMoore

Reactions
State
OK
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Audi S3
Thread Starter #10
You are correct that wipers are a wear item, but as some folks have stated "when you buy a 50K car they should work in your first rain encounter." The dealership offered, I didn't have to ask.

My final input on this thread is this: After speaking with the shop foreman at Audi we both agreed that I should clean the outside of my window with some Rainex aerosol cleaner that leaves a residue behind to repel rain. This is in direct contradiction to the owners manual. Our thinking was that when the service tech replaced the wipers we knew they went through an entire reservoir of cleaner and perhaps my window had truly become "squeaky clean". I haven't tested in a hard rain yet but in a light rain, I could barely hear them. They're not as silent as I'd like but I'll live with it. I do know that I'm going to put a Bosch Icon 26OE wiper blade at my own expense at some point because I have never had problems with them and these factory blades may be part of the problem.

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Glad they didn't charge you and thanks for the info.