Welcome to the #1 Audi S3 Forum and Audi S3 community dedicated to Audi S3 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Audi S3 Forum today!

How many people warm up their Audi S3 before driving?

How many people warm up their Audi S3 before driving?

• I don't

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • I always do

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • I do but only on really cold days

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters

Salacious3

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 S3
Regardless of outside temp I let my car idle to ensure thorough oil circulation before setting off so the turbo is safe to spool up.

Wireless

Reactions
Funnily enough, I only let the car idle for a minute or so after parking up, since it can take a while for a turbo to spin down, and I'd rather the oil was still circulating whilst it does this.

Reactions
City
Manchester
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2017 S3 Black Edition
as an update for me, I noticed that some other countries (not North America) have a coolant temp gauge. I have no idea why they left out the USA but this is stupid. so in its place we get a useless boost gauge. I ended up installing a temp gauge. now I wait till at least 180-190 before I go and that is way sooner than waiting for the oil temp gauge to get warm up. the coolant needs to be warmed up before going so that the engine is properly ready to go. it about a few minutes for this temp to get up there on a regular morning. sooner on a hotter morning.
In the UK our facelift has coolant temp on the left and boost on the right, as well as oil temp in the digital display.
The boost is not useless at all, because you can use it to drive off boost whilst the oil temp is below 90. You should be driving in a way where the boost gauge never moves which is quite easy unless there's a hill nearby.
Coolant goes up quickly.
I generally start my car up and leave it running whilst opening my gates, then drive it slowly out of boost until the oil temp is above 75, and then a bit harder, there's a motorway near me I reach around this time.
Apparently idling when cold is worse for the car than driving it when cold., all of the handbooks for cars tell you to drive it instead of idling, because there's more oil pressure.

Reactions
City
Jacksonville
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
Audi Rs3
In the UK our facelift has coolant temp on the left and boost on the right, as well as oil temp in the digital display.
The boost is not useless at all, because you can use it to drive off boost whilst the oil temp is below 90. You should be driving in a way where the boost gauge never moves which is quite easy unless there's a hill nearby.
Coolant goes up quickly.
I generally start my car up and leave it running whilst opening my gates, then drive it slowly out of boost until the oil temp is above 75, and then a bit harder, there's a motorway near me I reach around this time.
Apparently idling when cold is worse for the car than driving it when cold., all of the handbooks for cars tell you to drive it instead of idling, because there's more oil pressure.
Wow I can only imagine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro