Welcome to the #1 Audi S3 Forum and Audi S3 community dedicated to Audi S3 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Audi S3 Forum today!

How many people warm up their Audi S3 before driving?

How many people warm up their Audi S3 before driving?

• I don't

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • I always do

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • I do but only on really cold days

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
I know this is something not really required with newer cars, but sometimes its a hard habit to break. I always find myself letting the car warm up for about two minutes before driving in the mornings. Curious to see how many people get in their cars and drive right away while others let it sit and warm up a bit before driving.

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
I do a long warm up. its better to have it warmed up rather than not. even if there is some sort of debate. having it nice and at operating temp will ensure the oil is up there and lubing everything.

Hafpit

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 S3
I warm up for about a minute in the morning.

AlltrackMike

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
I just get in and drive.

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
as an update for me, I noticed that some other countries (not North America) have a coolant temp gauge. I have no idea why they left out the USA but this is stupid. so in its place we get a useless boost gauge. I ended up installing a temp gauge. now I wait till at least 180-190 before I go and that is way sooner than waiting for the oil temp gauge to get warm up. the coolant needs to be warmed up before going so that the engine is properly ready to go. it about a few minutes for this temp to get up there on a regular morning. sooner on a hotter morning.

blueone

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Warming up the engine before driving off is wasteful, and considered bad for the engine, as it is just extended idling. Every owners manual from every modern car I've owned says just drive conservatively until warmup is complete. With an engine as small as in an S3 that is only a few miles.

esemett

Reactions
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
S3
Warming up the engine before driving off is wasteful, and considered bad for the engine, as it is just extended idling. Every owners manual from every modern car I've owned says just drive conservatively until warmup is complete. With an engine as small as in an S3 that is only a few miles.
+1 I just get out and drive, and I've been hearing this more and more. We have a modern car guys...

Occasionally on really cold days when it's below 20 degrees Fahrenheit, I would let it sit for a minute.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
I just get in and drive/ However, I do not drive remotely aggressively at all until the car is warmed up.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
I'm yet to receive my S3, just wondering how you can tell when the engine is heated up? - In my Peugeot 208 GTi 30th there is a temperature gauge which allows you to see when its warm.. is this the case in the S3 or...?

OP
LonestarS3
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Thread Starter #11
I'm yet to receive my S3, just wondering how you can tell when the engine is heated up? - In my Peugeot 208 GTi 30th there is a temperature gauge which allows you to see when its warm.. is this the case in the S3 or...?
It's kind of a pain to get to but it's under Vehicle functions in the MMI.

You can access it via the buttons on the steering wheel.
Vehicle functions > Lap timer

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
audi wasn't so good in the engineering part of gauges here. it is hidden in another submenu. now what you can do is bring it to the main menu by vcds coding it. what you will see is the OIL temp not the coolant temp. for a while I didn't notice it was for oil and not coolant so it would take me forever to warm this shit up. I ended up adding a separate gauge for that coolant temp. I personally only care if the coolant temp is up to start driving it. most cars out in the market now have coolant temp and that's what we all look at to know if the car is ready to drive. oil temp is more for hard driving and most of us only get as far as the traffic light before we just need to wait and the oil temp will warm up by then.

I saw that the new gauge clusters have the water temp showing all the time. way better if you ask me.

KenMoore

Reactions
State
OK
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Audi S3
I just get in and drive ASAP. My '13 A5 would actually display a warning not to warm the engine.

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
so they didnt give us a water gauge which is annoying. i did add in a separate gauge.

S3Fan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
so they didnt give us a water gauge which is annoying. i did add in a separate gauge.
Yup the lack of temp is really annoying especially on turbo charged cars. You can really feel the S3 lose power when its driven hard on hot days.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Yeah, I just brought up the engine oil temp via Lap Timer. It is annoying that it can't be selected to always display regardless of the screen you select. I like the digital readout speedo and would like the oil temp to display too. I really wish these cars displayed coolant temp and oil pressure/temperature.

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
for a while i was using the oil temp to gauge driving temp and i didnt know it was oil for a while. i wasnt paying close attention to it at first. but water temp is more of what we need to drive with.

Diztek

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Audi S3
i dont think fuel injected cars need to be warmed up. you can also use vcds to code in the oil temp to be available on your info screen at all times.

Diztek

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Audi S3
the temp is shown on the "lap timer" screen.