Welcome to the #1 Audi S3 Forum and Audi S3 community dedicated to Audi S3 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Audi S3 Forum today!

Black Optics Grille

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Audi S3 Prestige
Recently I thought about the S3 with the black optics package, and thought that I could get an aftermarket black optics grille that has the notch to fit the Audi pre sense sensor. The black optics package with the black optics grille and wheels also have the Audi magnetic suspension which my car does not have the magnetic suspension. So I ordered the grille from an aftermarket source, but I will still keep the OEM grille that came with my car when I bought it, but I will move the license plate to the black optics grille once I get it. What are your thoughts about this?

S3Fan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
Are you wanting to switch cars or just looking to get the Black Optics accessories?

As I remember the BO package comes with color matching mirror caps, grill and wheels.

OP
Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Audi S3 Prestige
Thread Starter #3
Are you wanting to switch cars or just looking to get the Black Optics accessories?

As I remember the BO package comes with color matching mirror caps, grill and wheels.
I am looking to get the accessories, because I do not want a car with that package from the factory because it comes with the magnetic suspension. I talked to owners who have had dented rims and tires, and suspension errors on the dashboard. All the automotive journalists who don't actually buy and live with these say that you must get the magnetic suspension; it creates a rough ride in dynamic mode and all the above with the dented rims and suspension errors. The only accessory from the black optics package I got was the grille with the Audi pre sense slot, so that will be a good fit for the Brilliant Black exterior, along with the black parts of the magma red interior.

AlltrackMike

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
If your car is black getting the grill alone would look real good.

OP
Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Audi S3 Prestige
Thread Starter #5
If your car is black getting the grill alone would look real good.
Yes, my car is black, and I think it would look good with the paint job.

OP
Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Audi S3 Prestige
Thread Starter #6
Now that I actually have the black optics grille installed (I installed it June 16 the day it was delivered to my house), the exterior appears to be all black. The only things that actually pop out are the mirrors, license plates (Maryland requires front license plates), both the headlights and tail lights and the wheels. I'm on the fence about getting 15% tints for all the windows except the windshield. I might get my mirrors wrapped black with 3M stuff, and I don't know what else yet. The only modifications I have on it so far are LED reverse lights and black optics grille.

jfglass

Reactions
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Audi S3
Black Optic package

I have this on my '16 S3 in Mythos Black Metallic and lots of compliments from non-Audi folk. As noted, I have the magnetic shocks and in 6k miles have had no issues with wheels or "suspension" on the dash. And the roads where I lived are pretty crappy, too.