Welcome to the #1 Audi S3 Forum and Audi S3 community dedicated to Audi S3 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Audi S3 Forum today!

2016 Audi S3 provides high-performance satisfaction

Audi S3 News

Administrator
Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States

The Audi A3 has been available in Canada since 2005. Right from the get-go, it's been either the most compelling compact luxury car or the second-most, depending on your personal preference for all things "Mini-ature." Originally available only with one engine and one body style, the A3 line has grown to encompass three different powertrains, a sedan, a convertible and a five-door hatchback.

Although the revised 2017 lineup has launched in Europe, it will take a good year before those A3s make ground here. So it's worth taking a closer look at the high-performance variant of the current fleet, the 2016 Audi S3.

Following the trend that sees cars growing in size with each new generation, the A3/S3 is comparable to the A4/S4 of the early-2000s.

The first S4 to hit our shores featured a twin-turbocharged 2.7-litre V-6 with 250 horsepower and a 0-100 km/h sprint time of just less than six seconds. The current S3 extracts an eye-opening 292 horsepower from a much smaller engine, a (single-) turbocharged 2.0-litre four-cylinder. The newer Audi can hustle to 100 in less than five seconds. This is progress.

The old S4 felt like an untamed animal with its latent turbo lag and sudden bursts of power, which caused the all-wheel-drive sedan to send its front wheels spinning and searching for grip. But the more powerful and faster S3 is so refined and composed, it doesn't really feel that fast at all. This is a different kind of progress.

The strength of the 2016 Audi S3 is the ability to carve corners with the greatest of ease and maintain a high level of control at the same time. Credit goes to the quattro all-wheel drive system, a relatively light curb weight, standard 18-inch rubber and an adaptive, sport-tuned suspension system. As with many Audi models, the steering is overly light, but it's direct enough to ensure confidence in the twisty bits.

TECH SPECS
  • Base price: $45,400
  • Engine: Turbocharged 2.0-litre four-cylinder
  • Transmission/Drive: Six-speed dual-clutch automatic/All-wheel drive
  • Fuel economy (litres/100 km): 10.1 city; 7.7 highway; 9.0 combined
  • Alternatives: Acura ILX, BMW M235i, Cadillac ATS 2.0L, Infiniti Q50 3.0T AWD, Lexus IS 250 AWD, Mercedes-Benz CLA 45 AMG 4MATIC
  • You'll like this car if ... you need a genuine sport sedan, but don't need a huge amount of space.

RATINGS
  • Looks: The Audi S3 looks like a scaled-down version of the A8 executive sedan; somehow, the same proportions that work for a five-metre long car have worked to perfection here as well. The S3 has an understated presence that speaks to genuine performance and prestige at the same time.
  • Interior: The A3 line has always punched above its weight when it comes to interior fit and finish; this theme continues in the new S3, which balances comfort, quality in technology in one seamless package.
  • Performance: The engine offers swell straight-line performance and the dual-clutch automatic transmission is among the best in the game, but fuel efficiency is not great for a compact. The handling is solid and predictable. Although the brakes are bigger than those on the base A3, they are the weak link here, fading after heavy and prolonged use.
  • Technology: The next S3 will have the Audi TFT instrument panel; this version makes do with a traditional gauge set. The deft MMI system and a rearview camera are standard; navigation is optional. The suite of advanced safety and driver assistance systems is reasonable, but not class leading.
  • Cargo: Interior space is not plentiful, particularly for back-seat drivers. The trunk is also not voluminous, but the 60/40-split folding rear seat brings some versatility into play.

jfglass

Reactions
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Audi S3
As an owner of a new 2016 S3, I can concur with the comments above except for the driver assistance systems. I'm not sure what else is out there among all the possible contenders, but distance controlled cruise, Stop & go, Lane assist and city pre-sense, I can't think of any other systems I would use. In a CLA Benz, you'll pay $5-10K more for a similarly equipped car. Even though expensive, I think it's worth the money. Sure you can pay less for similar performance in a VW R, STi or Focus RS, but they all lack something compared to the S3 be it style, quality or performance.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 S3
As an owner of a new 2016 S3, I can concur with the comments above except for the driver assistance systems. I'm not sure what else is out there among all the possible contenders, but distance controlled cruise, Stop & go, Lane assist and city pre-sense, I can't think of any other systems I would use. In a CLA Benz, you'll pay $5-10K more for a similarly equipped car. Even though expensive, I think it's worth the money. Sure you can pay less for similar performance in a VW R, STi or Focus RS, but they all lack something compared to the S3 be it style, quality or performance.
I agree, the interior quality on the VW-R isn't comparable with the S3.

Reactions
State
NH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 S3|Prestige|Blk Optics|S.Seats

ScoobyS3

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Audi S3
I love my S3. It's been a great car since I picked her up 4 months ago. Deep down I wish it had an extra 75-100 horsepower but I've always believed that Audi underrated the specs like they always do, the car feels like it has more than 292hp. Maybe it's the high torque, I dunno. Coming from a 2012 A4 I love the additional power the S3 has but liked the "true" Quattro that was present in the A4 compared to the different, more frontal biased version found in our S3's. But don't get me wrong it still grips like a champ. Just not as well planted! Great car, great daily driver!