Welcome to the #1 Audi S3 Forum and Audi S3 community dedicated to Audi S3 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Audi S3 Forum today!

Magnetic Ride Thump Noise

AK47JO

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United Arab Emirates
What I Drive
S3
Forgive my ignorance on this matter. I have a 2016 S3 with Magnetic Ride Suspension and I find that when I go over certain bumps in the road, specifically road markings that are protruding high enough, the rear suspension make a loud thump, feels like the suspension is banging into the cap at the top. I've asked the dealer in Dubai about it but they said this is normal.... it certainly doesn't feel or sound normal.

Any ideas?

AlltrackMike

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Same, we have speed bumps at work and mine gets loud going over them.

OP
AK47JO

AK47JO

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United Arab Emirates
What I Drive
S3
Thread Starter #3
so this is completely normal then? scared the hell out of me the first time!!

S3Fan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
Check the spare tire to see if its secured in the trunk.

ScoobyS3

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Audi S3
Forgive my ignorance on this matter. I have a 2016 S3 with Magnetic Ride Suspension and I find that when I go over certain bumps in the road, specifically road markings that are protruding high enough, the rear suspension make a loud thump, feels like the suspension is banging into the cap at the top. I've asked the dealer in Dubai about it but they said this is normal.... it certainly doesn't feel or sound normal.

Any ideas?
Yup, that's how my mag ride feels/sounds too. Same year, car too. Mine is selective, on certain days the magnetic ride behaves great, its almost adaptive (even though I know its BS) I go over the same speed bumps going into work everyday. On a Monday it will be smooth, on a Tuesday it will be harsh and loud.. same drive select setting.. I just think the system is a joke in general, its very glitchy in my opinion.

OP
AK47JO

AK47JO

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United Arab Emirates
What I Drive
S3
Thread Starter #6
with mine I think it is always loud. No matter which stiffness I select. very weird and a little disappointing!

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
I've experienced the same issues with the MR being rough too.

MR_XX

Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
What I Drive
S3
Same here on my 2018. Sounds equally to blown shock absorbers.

OP
AK47JO

AK47JO

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
United Arab Emirates
What I Drive
S3
Thread Starter #9
It really is an unsettling noise... still don't think it's normal but Audi insist it is, hehe