Welcome to the #1 Audi S3 Forum and Audi S3 community dedicated to Audi S3 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Audi S3 Forum today!

i lost to a porsche 718, stock s3 2015

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
so i was at a light and a new porsche 718 ran me. it walked me and then decided to cut me off with maybe about 2 feet of clearance. stupid driver really.

so i just wanted to talk for fun on some mods.
what do you guys think would be the bare minimum to beat the porsche 718 non-S version. it was faster but not incredibly faster. so, i feel a few simple mods might be able to either hang with it or walk from it and im not asking about full blown mods where budget is non existent, just precision type of mods that would do the trick.

i believe the 718 is 300hp and the s3 is 292hp.
torque is 280lb-ft vs 280lb-ft.
weight is 2944lbs vs 3450lbs

already i can see i loose with the weight and the hp.

Last edited:
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 S3
Isn't this like your third or fourth race? lol

Just get a tune.

OP

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
Thread Starter #3
oh i do lots of runs. its what makes it fun. [drinking][driving]

im more curious if any other hardware upgrades will be enough.

as another thought that came to mind, the weight differences.
im curious how many parts need to be removed to get it to loose about 500lbs or is that even possible? by apparent nature small sports car vs small sedan, i cant come up with enough parts that can be taken off and allow the car still drive on the public highway. with my past subaru sti they had aluminum parts that i could change out from the stock parts, like my trunk which i did buy from japan. it was way lighter. they also had doors as well and they were actual subaru parts that allowed the car to still function like stock. the trunk i bought ran me 500usd plus shipping. i think each door was about 1000usd plus shipping. dont quote me as my memory is not so good anymore.

of course for the audi, these are just hypothetical scenarios for fun. i would never do it on an s3 as the car parts are probably not available and if they are it would totally break the bank.

AlltrackMike

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Removing the seats will probably net you a good amount of weight. Other than that you'll need to start swapping parts like wheels, trunk, hood with carbon fiber.

OP

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
Thread Starter #5
i was thinking of the seats but removing all front and rear, how much would it net? i know they are heavy but 100lbs?

spare tire and jack with any supporting hardware, about 30lbs?

on my subie i also did a carbon fiber drive shaft. i will have to say that actually does make a feelable difference. it frees up unsprung weight. worth the money for sure.

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Going with an after market exhaust should save you some weight.

AlltrackMike

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Yeah I would say about 100 pounds.

i was thinking of the seats but removing all front and rear, how much would it net? i know they are heavy but 100lbs?

spare tire and jack with any supporting hardware, about 30lbs?

on my subie i also did a carbon fiber drive shaft. i will have to say that actually does make a feelable difference. it frees up unsprung weight. worth the money for sure.

OP

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
Thread Starter #8
i would but i do love the sound of the stock unit. i recently had to take it off and man its heavy. i dont think the exhaust section alone is more than 40lbs, because i am physically weak and i can lift it off the ground.

i would say the tips should be upgraded to give it the bling factor tho after some downpipe upgrades.

elmagoo

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Audi S3
Do an APR Stage I ECU and TCU tune. You'll take the 718 after that, and probably a 718 S as well. Your 0-60 will be 4.0s or less, and you'll do a mid to low 12 in the quarter mile. About 360hp and 370ft lbs of torque just from software (at 91 octane, if you can get 93 in your area it would be higher). Then you could do intake and intercooler to stay at Stage I, or add a downpipe and go to Stage II (which puts it to almost 400 / 400). But there's no other update as efficient for the money. :)

Diztek

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Audi S3
United Motorsports stage 1 and you should be good to go.

OP

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
Thread Starter #11
as an update, i have purchased the arp down pipe but i have not installed it yet. i feel that the sound alone is worth the fun factor of driving it. as for performance ill see as i wont get a ecu remap for it. i dont think i will unless cobb ap is available down the road.

Reactions
State
OK
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
as an update, i have purchased the arp down pipe but i have not installed it yet. i feel that the sound alone is worth the fun factor of driving it. as for performance ill see as i wont get a ecu remap for it. i dont think i will unless cobb ap is available down the road.
I too wish Cobb would do something.

OP

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3