Welcome to the #1 Audi S3 Forum and Audi S3 community dedicated to Audi S3 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Audi S3 Forum today!

Mirror questions

genopower

Reactions
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 audi s3
I feel really dumb asking these 2 questions but I'm having trouble with the outside mirrors on my 2016 S3.

#1: How do you turn on the heater for the mirrors. I called the dealer and they said to move the adjusting knob to the 6 o'clock position (feels really awkward when you do). I did this and it didn't seem to make any difference (ice remained on mirrors) and there was no indication they were on (i.e. no indicator light).

#2: How do you get the passenger mirror to automatically tilt down in reverse/when backing up? I've watched the how to video included with Audi MMI at least 4x and followed the procedure with no luck. It still doesn't work. Here's what I did:

1. Turned on ign power
2. Turned on parking brake
3. Put DSG in reverse
4. Tilted mirror down to desired position
5. Put the car back in park
6. Shut off parking brake
7. Shut off ign power.

I then started the car and went for a short drive. The mirror remained tilted down. I put it back in position for driving then did a test by stopping and backing up. Mirror did not automatically tilt downward.

I must say this seems way too complicated. In my Acura all you had to do was leave the adjustment button pointing to the passenger mirror and it automatically would tilt whenever you backed up.

Thanks,

Chuck

Last edited:

S3Fan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
#1: How do you turn on the heater for the mirrors. I called the dealer and they said to move the adjusting knob to the 6 o'clock position (feels really awkward when you do). I did this and it didn't seem to make any difference (ice remained on mirrors) and there was no indication they were on (i.e. no indicator light).
Turn it to 6 o'clock. I don't think it's strong enough to melt ice though.

#2: How do you get the passenger mirror to automatically tilt down in reverse/when backing up? I've watched the how to video included with Audi MMI at least 4x and followed the procedure with no luck. It still doesn't work. Here's what I did:
To make the passenger mirror tilt down you'll need to turn the mirror adjustment knob to the passenger.

AlltrackMike

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
I can attest the defrost on the mirrors aren't sufficient to melt ice.