Welcome to the #1 Audi S3 Forum and Audi S3 community dedicated to Audi S3 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Audi S3 Forum today!

Gearbox Malfunction, no reverse gear

Reactions
City
Sacramento
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
2015 Audi S3 with 6spd DSG. Vehicle has only 52K miles. I can start the vehicle and go into reverse gear to back out of my garage. No unusual noises and appears to operate normally. Once I go into drive, I can only get maybe 200 feet and the dash warning "Gearbox Malfunction, No Reverse Gear" will appear. Once that occurs, I can only drive in 2nd gear. Again, no unusual noises whatsoever. Once that warning flashes, the car will only drive forward in 2nd gear. It will not go into reverse gear. If I shut the car off and restart it, I can then go into reverse gear without issue. When I begin to drive forward (in auto or manual), I can get up to 3rd gear and the car then seems to go into neutral.....then the "Gearbox Malfunction, no reverse gear" warning appears. The car then goes back into 2nd gear and I can continue to drive forward....only in 2nd gear. Again, no weird noises coming from the gearbox. I haven't had the car formally scanned yet with a proper dealer-quality scan tool. Is this likely a bad Mechatronic unit? If I were to replace the Mechatronic, does the replacement unit need to be programmed to the ECU? What other possible causes might exist for this issue? I can't imagine there was a catastrophic gearbox failure.

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
have you tuned the ecu?

what does the scan show you so far?

OP
B
Reactions
City
Sacramento
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
Thread Starter #3
Car is totally stock. I have a very simple OBD2 reader, nothing fancy. Code is P2711.

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
youll need either the obd11 or vcds cable to scan the car.
a simply reader will not work. you will want to scan each module in the car. only these two will be your best tools to have at all times.
i have both of them.

Reactions
City
Farr west
State
UT
Country
United States
What I Drive
Audi s3 2016
What was the outcome on this? I have a 2016 Audi s3 and experiencing similar issues