Welcome to the #1 Audi S3 Forum and Audi S3 community dedicated to Audi S3 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Audi S3 Forum today!

Oil around spark plug

Blob

Reactions
City
Birmingham
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2016 s3
Good morning everyone hope your all well

This is where I am at the moment. The first thing I noticed was a week ago on my 2016 s3 I went to take over a arctic the car juddered and lost power I scanned the car for a problem a misfire on cylinder 4 was the answer I got

So thought cheapest option first change the spark plugs the local garage said the plugs had oil in them. So i checked them they weren’t flooded with oil but there was oil present. They cleaned the plugs car drove great for a day as I expected it would. Same problem had the car looked at was told change the rocker cover gasket and the seals. That should solve the problem

so now my silly question time. I emailed a garage for a quote to replace gasket as seals. I was told you cannot buy a Rocker cover gasket on its own I would need to buy a complete new cylinder head which would be £2000 +

They say they can remove the the rocker cover and seal it which should do the job £1000 roughly

So is what they say true or am I asking them to do the right job that I need doing. Really sorry for long first question I’m not up on engines just love the car lol

Thanks for reading
Rob

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
im doing well.

SolarS3

Reactions
City
Bittern
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
2008 S3
Good morning everyone hope your all well

This is where I am at the moment. The first thing I noticed was a week ago on my 2016 s3 I went to take over a arctic the car juddered and lost power I scanned the car for a problem a misfire on cylinder 4 was the answer I got

So thought cheapest option first change the spark plugs the local garage said the plugs had oil in them. So i checked them they weren’t flooded with oil but there was oil present. They cleaned the plugs car drove great for a day as I expected it would. Same problem had the car looked at was told change the rocker cover gasket and the seals. That should solve the problem

so now my silly question time. I emailed a garage for a quote to replace gasket as seals. I was told you cannot buy a Rocker cover gasket on its own I would need to buy a complete new cylinder head which would be £2000 +

They say they can remove the the rocker cover and seal it which should do the job £1000 roughly

So is what they say true or am I asking them to do the right job that I need doing. Really sorry for long first question I’m not up on engines just love the car lol

Thanks for reading
Rob
Honestly Blob! Take it to a service centre with reputation near you. Those prices you've been given are horrendous! I'd say you could get a rocker cover gasket from some dealer somewhere. Tis' true that, when these gaskets leak they do indeed fill the gaps in rocker cover that plugs are found....

OP
B

Blob

Reactions
City
Birmingham
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2016 s3
Thread Starter #4
OP
B

Blob

Reactions
City
Birmingham
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2016 s3
Thread Starter #5
Honestly Blob! Take it to a service centre with reputation near you. Those prices you've been given are horrendous! I'd say you could get a rocker cover gasket from some dealer somewhere. Tis' true that, when these gaskets leak they do indeed fill the gaps in rocker cover that plugs are found....
Thanks very much I will indeed take your advice