Welcome to the #1 Audi S3 Forum and Audi S3 community dedicated to Audi S3 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Audi S3 Forum today!

2018 audi oil leak from engine/gearbox area

S3audi

Reactions
City
Sydney
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
S3 audi 2018
Hi I have a 2018 s3 audi I purchased recently with an oil discolouration area that wasn't wet when checked by prepurchase inspector.

Is there any knowledge on what could cause this.
Taking into audi soon for service and will get them to diagnose it but I'm very curious about what could cause this.
Screenshot_20231202_174459_Gallery.jpg
Thanks.

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
your zoomed in. cant tell what that is. and the photo is blurry.

try looking around as well. sometimes, oil buildup isn't exactly right there where you can see it best. oil drips down. so look at all four sides and look up. see if there is anything above that could have some residue.

if this is a used purchase, most likely the engine has been deep washed.
since you are bringing it into the dealership, I wouldn't worry about it at this point. just wait till they give you a diagnosis. i had an oil leak on the bottom of my oil pan and it was a gasket worn out. but it was behind a cover so i never knew where it was till i kept looking. i used a leak tester.

OP
S3audi

S3audi

Reactions
City
Sydney
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
S3 audi 2018
Thread Starter #3
Thanks I had the car serviced at audi today and received a clean bill of health. They have told me there is a slight sweat of oil around the area but nothing to worry about. Here is a better pic. Screenshot_20231220_180013_Chrome.jpg

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
oh wow. are my eyes deceiving me? did the stain go away? was it oil?

i hear sweating all the time but what does that even mean?
last i checked cars dont have sweat glands.
but either way good to know there is no issues.