Welcome to the #1 Audi S3 Forum and Audi S3 community dedicated to Audi S3 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Audi S3 Forum today!

Any benefits of using Ethanol Free fuel?

Reactions
State
OK
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
Curious if there's any benefits of using Ethanol Free fuel?

ViperG

Staff Team
Reactions
City
Philedelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Viper Green S3
For a daily driver I wouldn't think so. Pure you get better gas mileage but you're also paying more so it's probably a wash. If you rarely drive the car and it's your toy It will absorb a lot less moisture if you use pure gas. So I would probably opt for ethanol free if you only drive it a couple times per month.

ViperG

Staff Team
Reactions
City
Philedelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Viper Green S3
It's like a ghost town on this forum. I guess everyone is just out enjoying their S3 instead of complaining about problems like most forums.

OP
BrilliantS3
Reactions
State
OK
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
Thread Starter #4
Yeah we need more members. Seems the S3/RS3 sections on all the forums aren't as active. Maybe they are all on FB these days, I can't stand FB

S3Fan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
Ethanol-free gas can lend itself to slightly superior fuel economy*, and is able to sit in a gas tank for a bit longer without absorbing as much water (ethanol is hydroscopic). Beyond that, it's not really worth worrying about. Depending on how ethanol-free is priced locally, it may or may not be more economical for you.

*- Ethanol has a lower energy density than gasoline, but higher octane and richer stoichiometric ratio (meaning that it requires less oxygen to fully burn), which is basically why E30 tunes can see power gains at the cost of tanking your MPG. You can run more boost and throw more fuel at it to overcome the lower energy density.

Project Farm has a video about the subject: