Welcome to the #1 Audi S3 Forum and Audi S3 community dedicated to Audi S3 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Audi S3 Forum today!

Carbon fiber lip spoiler

Rick

Reactions
City
Spartanburg
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
I just completed installing my lip spoiler on my 2015 S3. A lot of research went into the process to find one that didn't cost $350 and I believed was going to fit well and be a 1st quality production. This piece through Amazon from Cuztom Tuning for $152.99 is a near-perfect piece and looks like OEM. It arrived in about 6 days and is said to be returnable.
It has a high gloss finish, looks and weighs like carbon fiber---it only weighs 10 oz. There are 40 reviews to read. You can't get much feedback on the pieces offered on Ebay. This light weight was critical to me because I wanted the fine up-function on the trunk lid to be unaffected by the additional weight. The listing continually says "only 1 left" regardless of the one I ordered. The mounting tape that is supplied seems to be less strong than you want and according to the several You Tube videos that should be watched--esp. Peter's, The S3 Fanatic, buy the 3M VHB .4" black. It is super sticky. Use the mounting tape supplied with the spoiler to practice where to put the tape and how to get the best contact points for the 2 surfaces that need to come together with the trunk lid. Peter's video shows there is some work involved in removing the OEM piece and getting a good install. If your purchase is like mine, the challenge will be much easier. Many of the spoiler options out there are said to not fit right and lead to lots of frustration--even the high dollar ones. One key with the install, as you see on the videos, is to only remove about 2" of the red tape from the front, back and end edge surface from one end only when you begin to install in place. The 3M tape is so sticky that you will struggle to get the right position if you remove much more. The red tape on the opposite end edge needs to come off also to start or you won't be able to grab it later. Practice ahead and it should work out well.

Attachments

Reactions
City
Miami
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Audi S3
Came out nice, I always been a fan of the Carbon Fiber Spoiler. But it sure is a mission to come out perfect. patience is the key.

OP
R

Rick

Reactions
City
Spartanburg
State
SC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
Thread Starter #3
Came out nice, I always been a fan of the Carbon Fiber Spoiler. But it sure is a mission to come out perfect. patience is the key.
Are you familiar with the Stage 1 ECU Tune that APR software will do. Have had it about a year now, it's the real deal--feels like about 350 HP and T. APR does software module tunes for VW, Porche and Audi. The program is about $450 + about $100 to the technician. Prob wouldn't do until after warranty. A transparent enhancement that sort of gives you a whole new engine upgrade.