Welcome to the #1 Audi S3 Forum and Audi S3 community dedicated to Audi S3 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Audi S3 Forum today!

Audi S3 Dash Cam Installation Guide

S3Fan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
I'll come back later an fill in the details, but here are some images that can help with your install.

Tools Needed:
Panel Removal Tool

Add-A-Circuit Fuse Tap Kit

10mm Socket and extra nut

Dash Cam
BlackVue Dash Cam DR650S-1CH - Link to Amazon

Remove the fuse box cover.

Remove the side cover.

Running the wiring

Wiring the camera.

Yellow Wire = 12v, Red Wire = ACC, Black = Ground

F38 and F48 can be used.

F38 has constant power and F48 is for ACC power.

Installing the ground wire.

Mounted camera

ADM17

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Audi S3
I'm assuming the add a circuit fuse taps you used were standard size, correct? I was not grounding my wiring to the bolt you show, I was using one next to the fuse box, maybe it wasn't grounded properly. I'll give that one a shot. Thanks.

Apcoulson

Reactions
State
NJ
Country
United States
What fuse locations did you use? Is this for the '17?

OP
S3Fan

S3Fan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
Thread Starter #4
This is a for a '15

F38 and F48 can be used.

F38 has constant power and F48 is for ACC power.

OP
S3Fan

S3Fan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
Thread Starter #5
I'm assuming the add a circuit fuse taps you used were standard size, correct? I was not grounding my wiring to the bolt you show, I was using one next to the fuse box, maybe it wasn't grounded properly. I'll give that one a shot. Thanks.
Yes standard size tap. That bolt does work as a ground but you have to make sure you don't overtighten the nut.

ADM17

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Audi S3
Yes standard size tap. That bolt does work as a ground but you have to make sure you don't overtighten the nut.
After nearly pulling my hair out in frustration, I found the problem. I tested the 38 and 48 locations with a voltmeter and they do work as you describe. I actually grounded it to the bolt down and to the right of the fuse panel. It has a metal tab on it so I don't have to worry about paint interfering with the ground. The bolt by the pedals, where you have yours grounded, doesn't have a nut on it on my car. It's just the threads.

Anyway, after wiring it and then plugging it in, the Magicbox pro still wasn't lighting up or powering the camera on. I toggled the switch off and then on, and it lit up and on came the camera. I think my magicbox pro is faulty. If I turn the switch to off on the magicbox the light won't stay lit up, and it won't power on my camera, even with the car running. I have to manually flick the switch off, and then on for it to light up and power the camera on. This is why it wasn't working for me before. I ordered a replacement magic pro which should be here Wednesday. I'll swap it out and see what happens.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
OP
S3Fan

S3Fan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
Thread Starter #7
[MENTION=554]ADM17[/MENTION] sorry I forgot to mention that I had to use my own nut for the bolt thats holding in the ground wire. If you found a better spot then its probably more ideal since I had to fidget with it a bit to get it to work due to the paint.

ADM17

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Audi S3
Got my replacement magic pro and that didn't solve the issue. I think Audi might have changed something with the fuse panel. When the car is running, I will get a green light when the magic pro is on, and my dash cam fires up fine. When I stop the car and turn it off, after a few minutes the camera will say it's powering down and I'll notice power is cut to the magic pro. I'm really stumped here. I read about something similar on new BMW vehicles. For now, I have to wait until the car is running for a few seconds and I'm in gear, then I can toggle the power switch and it'll power up. I might ditch the magic pro and just hardwire the camera to a switched ACC so it comes on whenever the car is running. I would have liked the park mode feature. [scratch]

OP
S3Fan

S3Fan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
Thread Starter #9
You can change the settings on the Magic Pro to stay on longer. Also you can enable parking mode via the dash cam app.

https://www.blackvue.com/power-magic-pro/

Making these setting changes will set the cut-off timer.

Making these setting changes will adjust the voltage.

Got my replacement magic pro and that didn't solve the issue. I think Audi might have changed something with the fuse panel. When the car is running, I will get a green light when the magic pro is on, and my dash cam fires up fine. When I stop the car and turn it off, after a few minutes the camera will say it's powering down and I'll notice power is cut to the magic pro. I'm really stumped here. I read about something similar on new BMW vehicles. For now, I have to wait until the car is running for a few seconds and I'm in gear, then I can toggle the power switch and it'll power up. I might ditch the magic pro and just hardwire the camera to a switched ACC so it comes on whenever the car is running. I would have liked the park mode feature. [scratch]

ADM17

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Audi S3
You can change the settings on the Magic Pro to stay on longer. Also you can enable parking mode via the dash cam app.

https://www.blackvue.com/power-magic-pro/

Making these setting changes will set the cut-off timer.

Making these setting changes will adjust the voltage.
I have all my switches set to up so it's 12.5V and 6 hours. Do you think I need to set it to 12V? I'll check the app, but there is something odd going on with it.

OP
S3Fan

S3Fan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
Thread Starter #11
Yes set it to 12v. That's where I have mine.

ADM17

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Audi S3
Yes set it to 12v. That's where I have mine.
I changed the 2nd dip switch to on so it's set for 12V. With the car completely off, I switched the magic pro on and it lit up. It wouldn't do this before without the ignition on. I'll see how it works tomorrow. Hopefully this resolves the issue.

OP
S3Fan

S3Fan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
Thread Starter #13
I changed the 2nd dip switch to on so it's set for 12V. With the car completely off, I switched the magic pro on and it lit up. It wouldn't do this before without the ignition on. I'll see how it works tomorrow. Hopefully this resolves the issue.
Let me know if that fixed the problem.

ADM17

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Audi S3
Let me know if that fixed the problem.
So far I will say it is fixed. Can you do me a favor and check one thing on yours? If you switch your magic pro to "off" does the light still light up and power your camera? Mine worked during the driving I did today, and I left it on in park mode for a bit at work. It was on for a few hours in park mode before I turned it off manually on my own.

OP
S3Fan

S3Fan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
Thread Starter #15
I'll check it tomorrow and let you know.

OP
S3Fan

S3Fan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
Thread Starter #16
Here's a good tutorial.
[video]https://youtu.be/exSfS4yz1F8[/video]

Reactions
State
DE
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 S3
I'll come back later an fill in the details, but here are some images that can help with your install.

Installing the ground wire.

Thanks for the instructions. everything works great up until the ground wire. I have the 2018. All I see are damn threads near the pedals. Nothing looks like what is in your pic above where you insert the ground wire. Any suggestion? Am I not looking in right place? Is it hidden behind something?

OP
S3Fan

S3Fan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
Thread Starter #18
Thanks for the instructions. everything works great up until the ground wire. I have the 2018. All I see are damn threads near the pedals. Nothing looks like what is in your pic above where you insert the ground wire. Any suggestion? Am I not looking in right place? Is it hidden behind something?
If you can't find one you can use a self tapping screw into any metal area.

This part is all metal.

PinkAudi

Reactions
Hey everyone, I'm hoping someone here can help me out. I'm just about to order an interior LED lighting kit, and the store sells various circuit expander kits. I've looked at their sizing guide (attached), but I'm still really not sure which one to purchase (ordering from a different country so I really don't want to guess incorrectly!)

Attachments

OP
S3Fan

S3Fan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive