Welcome to the #1 Audi S3 Forum and Audi S3 community dedicated to Audi S3 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Audi S3 Forum today!

Audi S3 Magnetic Cell phone Vent Mount by CLEARmounts.com

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Did the install based on this video.
[video=youtube;fhXEC-MzI-8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhXEC-MzI-8[/video]

Here's the install Process:

Installed Video: Product Failed
This is what happens after I install my Nexus 6P, you can see the magnet is not strong enough to support the weight.
[video=youtube;uLMg5mOQvIY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLMg5mOQvIY&feature=youtu.be[/video]

eBay Listing:

AlltrackMike

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Thanks for posting this. I guess they didn't do enough testing or put a disclaimer on their ebay product page to exclude certain phone weights.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
I installed this phone mount in my S3 and I have an iPhone 6. Holds it perfectly and is all I hoped it would be. Everyone who gets into my car comments on how nice it and simple it is. I love it.

S3Fan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
Lonestar, it might be your case as well. Maybe try getting a thinner case.

Reactions
State
NH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 S3|Prestige|Blk Optics|S.Seats
I have an iPhone 6+ and a Ballistic case. I would like this mount but not sure if the phone and case would be too much for the magnet like the Nexus?

OP
LonestarS3
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Thread Starter #6
Well I just ordered a thinner case, will let you guys know

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2016 A3 Cabrio S-Line
Hello All,

The magnets have now been improved... Supper strong as well as we got new packaging.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2016 A3 Cabrio S-Line
I wanted to re-shoot my promo video with a better camera than an iPhone so I went back to the race track... I also wanted to show the telescopic vents we get in Canada! What do you think? https://youtu.be/eRoDDWwP9xg

Last edited:

Alejandro

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
A3
Hi,
Can we safely assume that any new purchases of your clearmounts for the A3/S3 are strong enough to hold an Iphone6 Plus?
I have read that the strong magnet can affect the compass on the phone? Any testing done on this?

Thanks

Hello All,

The magnets have now been improved... Supper strong as well as we got new packaging.

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2016 A3 Cabrio S-Line
Yes it can hold the iPhone 6 plus no problem as long as your case is not super thick unless you stick the metal plate on the outside of the case. The Spigen case works perfect as it has a place to insert the metal plate. As far as the compass, I have never tested, but I user my Waze GPS app everyday with zero issues. I hope this helps

Reactions
State
NH
Country
United States
What I Drive
Would like to know if it works with a Ballistic case for my iPhone 6+ before purchasing...

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2016 A3 Cabrio S-Line
I can't be 100% because I don't have that case, however I do believe others i have sold it to may be using that case... not sure. As long as you can place the metal plate either between the case and the phone or stick it directly to the exterior it should work just fine. Looking at pictures online if you stick the plate to the exterior you shouldn't have any issues. The magnet is very powerful.

Reactions
State
NH
Country
United States
What I Drive
I can't be 100% because I don't have that case, however I do believe others i have sold it to may be using that case... not sure. As long as you can place the metal plate either between the case and the phone or stick it directly to the exterior it should work just fine. Looking at pictures online if you stick the plate to the exterior you shouldn't have any issues. The magnet is very powerful.
Thanks for the update. How about if I be the "guinea pig" to try an iPhone 6+ to see if it works for a slightly discounted rate?

I'd be willing to take pictures of the mount on the phone case as well as how it adhere's on the dash.

Thoughts?

Kevin

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2016 A3 Cabrio S-Line
Thanks for the update. How about if I be the "guinea pig" to try an iPhone 6+ to see if it works for a slightly discounted rate?

I'd be willing to take pictures of the mount on the phone case as well as how it adhere's on the dash.

Thoughts?

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I know the iPhone 6 plus works... On my website I have a gold one I took a picture of, however the ballistic case I can't be sure.

Reactions
State
NH
Country
United States
What I Drive
Well that is more so what I would like to know if it works. Est. is that the case is 1/8th thick.

Kevin

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2016 A3 Cabrio S-Line
kevin I private messaged you...

Reactions
State
NH
Country
United States
What I Drive
So I got in my Clearmounts. Have to say initially it did not work (at least the magnet) with my Ballistic iPhone 6+ case.

This was not due to the mount itself, but due to the thickness of the case and the magnet. I have since purchased a thinner case and it works great with the mount.

Install took all of 5 mins (if that) and the mount works great. As mentioned many times, it looks very OEM and not out of place. Just want to let folks know it does work with the iPhone 6+.

Thanks Carl!

Kevin

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2016 A3 Cabrio S-Line
Great review Kevin... thanks. Enjoy your clearmounts.com!

Reactions
State
NH
Country
United States
What I Drive
Hi Carl:

I see you brought out a black aluminum mount. If I knew this was in the works, I would have waited to purchase this mount instead of the clear plastic one.

Is there anything in the work for folks who purchased the clear plastic that want to upgrade to either the brushed aluminum or black aluminum mount?

OP
LonestarS3
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Thread Starter #20
Just wanted to update this thread and give thanks to Carl for going above and beyond to making me happy. He sent me a brand new mount and the magnets are definitely stronger. While I still had to get a slightly thinner case, I'm extremely happy with the product. We ended up using the extra magnet Carl sent me for my wife's iPhone which she now uses on a daily basis.

Thanks again Carl for the great customer service.