Welcome to the #1 Audi S3 Forum and Audi S3 community dedicated to Audi S3 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Audi S3 Forum today!

Can i install prestige auto dimming exterior drivers mirror on premium plus 2017 s3?

Chrisxy1

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 S3
Hi there; I just purchased a new 2017 Audi S3 in Ara Blue. I really like the car, but should have reviewed the features list a bit better. I bought a Premium Plus model, which does NOT have the auto dimming drivers side exterior mirror (The prestige model has this, which also includes power folding). I really want to have the drivers side mirror automatically dim, so I called a local Audi dealer and spoke to a really helpful parts guy that looked at a BOM on the Premium Plus model mirror vs. the Prestige mirror. He indicated that the level of detail does not go down to the actual wiring harness/coupling, as well as some other details which he wanted to verify, but from what he could tell, if I purchased the Prestige mirror with housing (will run about $1000 in parts) he is 80 percent sure it would work on the Premium Plus model (to be clear, I would have them swap the mirrors out). Regarding the power folding, since my car does not have the switch selection on the drivers door to enable the power fold feature, it will just not be available to use (which is fine, I don't need that). Has anyone done this? I may just take the gamble and have them proceed, but it was made clear to me (fairly so) that if it didn't work, I would be charged the parts and labor for the work performed, and that utilized parts could not be returned. To add a bit more complexity to the question, a friend of mine who has owned many Audis felt that if I just purchased the Prestige mirror (literally just the mirror with no housing or electronics) that installing that in to my housing should enable auto dimming. When I inquired about that with the parts advisor, he wasn't sure about that, but also commented that the interior of the housings seemed to be different.
Has anybody done this mod, or has it been discussed? I am new to the forum, and couldn't find it on a search, and it may be something that is important to me, but not a big deal to others. Thanks in advance. Side note; other than this, I'm loving the car! I have the tech/ nav package, B&O, Dynamic Package, and the resonator delete. Chris

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
I think you are spending $1K and there is a good chance it won't work. I would spend $20 and just have a window tint shop tint your side mirrors.

OP
C

Chrisxy1

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 S3
Thread Starter #4
Thanks much; I'm in contact with Europrice, seems like it will work!