Welcome to the #1 Audi S3 Forum and Audi S3 community dedicated to Audi S3 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Audi S3 Forum today!

Eggs in front right tire.

Reactions
City
New Orleans
State
LA
Country
United States
What I Drive
RS 3
Bought my 2019 RS 3 in mid Nov and I’ve already replaced the front right tire twice due to eggs forming at the edge for the tread. I live in New Orleans, so potholes are everywhere and I’ve hit some, but would have thought not hard enough to damage the tire. So I’ve got the 255/30’s up front and never had that low of a profile before (previously owned an E46 M3 and only busted a tire once and it was an big hit). Dealing with my local Audi dealer honoring the Pirelli 1 year tire warranty is such a headache with all whining about them not getting paid. They said the 2nd time was the last time and now I’ve got another egg. Other concern is that it’s always the right front tire. Could that possibly be a wheel issue? Sorry for the rambling post, but anyone else having similar issues with “blowing” tires?

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
you can also go to another dealership. your not locked into just one place to do warranty.

as for the wheel or the egg theory, try rotating the wheels around. but keep in mind where each wheel was originally to see what happens. im not really sure what you mean by egg but if you have photos that would help explain more.

ViperG

Staff Team
Reactions
City
Philedelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Viper Green S3
Really you don't know what he means by eggs? when you break the belt and the only thing holding the air is the rubber. forms an egg like lump on the sidewall. That's the price you pay for low profile if you want to drive fast and hit potholes. 18's are probably the max rim size that can withstand constant potholes. That's why i went up a size to 245/35/19 Continental DWS because the roads here in PA suck. I also ran with 18's for a bit they were perfect but they looked like hell.

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
i have never heard the term eggs before and thats coming from every tire shops i have ever been to. all they say is that you have a bubble.

now that you shown the photo i have seen and experienced this as well. too many reasons it could happen. there are warranties so it would be something that can be used to fix this.

ViperG

Staff Team
Reactions
City
Philedelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Viper Green S3
I guess it's an east coast thing :) pretty common around here with the way roads get in the winter.

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
yeah we dont get too many p. holes. ;):p

as of late there are more than usual and i have been eating at least one per travel now. which is really rare for socal.

most of the time i have mostly got it from either aging tires or sub brand tires. i have been successful with high branding tires even with 35 series tires. the egged tire photo you shared those are 55 series tires. which leads me to believe that low profile tires might not be the culprit.

as a solution, sometimes quality control is worth the extra costs for the high branding tires if this is a continue use. if not, buy extended warranties and that might also be worth while.

ViperG

Staff Team
Reactions
City
Philedelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Viper Green S3
Oh I just googled a picture. I like my continentals.

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
yeah continentals are a good brand. (y):cool:

when i was a teenager, i experimented.... with cheap tires. thinking hey what could go wrong? i'ma right?!?!

as an adult i look for the most highly rated, expensive tires that i needed. with that said i dont feel i need the highest rated performance tires all the time but i can afford them now and i see value if i really drive like an asshole (aggressively) all the time. so now i do near top branding.

top on my list is michelin tires. the quality control is top notch and they use quality materials.

the rest are good and not saying they are horrible but these would be second in quality to the top.

so, i feel these would be the brands i would go with as next in line, no particular order:
yokohama
bf goodrich
bridgestone
nitto
falken
toyo
pirelli
continental
good year
hankook

ViperG

Staff Team
Reactions
City
Philedelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Viper Green S3
As strange as it is I actually really like kumho. I ran them for a long time on my TT and M3 and various other cars. I've been getting good deals on Continentals lately so really the price difference didn't break the bank.