Welcome to the #1 Audi S3 Forum and Audi S3 community dedicated to Audi S3 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Audi S3 Forum today!

review of the motive power bleeder tool vs. mityvac mv6835 vs. 2 people

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
hey guys its that time again for a tool review with me, :geek:. yay

my order of the motive products power bleeder just arrived.
i have tried another bleeder (the mityvac mv6835), so i will be able to compare my experiences with two completely different tools in additional to the 2 person bleeding process.
since the tool just arrived today i do plan on testing it out when i do my brake pad and brake lines change within the next 2 weeks or sooner.

before i get into the motive power bleeder itself i will give an explaination on how i got to this point.

i have always done the 2 person bleeding in the past but it has always been difficult to get help when you need it. the 2 person works well and i would say its one of the hardest methods but it ensures the bleeding is done right. there is a lot of pumping for the person in the car but i would only recommend this after any of these other two are done as it ensures that every little air is removed in the system. when i was doing this method i had to keep bothering people i knew to help pump. sometimes it was just so hard to get our times available at the same time and if there was an issue during the work, well i had to ask for help the next day as the car couldn’t just sit there for days to be completed.

i did try the mityvac model mv6835. when i got it, it was freak’n nice and had high quality parts. it was built with the best parts i have ever seen. all the hoses down to the connectors were professional level stuff. in the kit i got, nothing was missing, and it contained everything you need to make it work other than an air compressor. i got this unit because it was supposed to be much easier being a pneumatic unit. i didn’t need another person to get it to work. after reading some reviews on which method was best, vacuum is the best for the lines when compared to using the pressure and a person pressing on the brake pedal to flush it out of the system.

In theory why vacuum is better;
*pressing on the pedal will introduce debris into the line when the initial start of the cycle. thats why we are supposed to remove as much old stuff in the master cylinder reservoir as possible. by pressing the brake pedal, the debris can damage the master cylinder plunger and in turn the m.c. may fail prematurely because when we use the brakes, we never actually use the full swing of the pedal to apply braking in normal uses.
*pressure, you might cause the system to leak early as your introducing more pressure than its rated for or the seals might be old and it can cause leaking somewhere. then youll have a whole new set if issues after this.

so with this reason the mityvac with its suctioning should have been the best overall.
the issue i have with this unit is that even though it had the best parts, the implementation was wrong. it just didn’t perform like it’s supposed to.
when hooked up to the air compressor, there was so much air leakage that it made the whole process longer. i would say about 30% of the air actually pulled the fluid and the rest was leaking out of the connections. I checked, there was no way to fix it as it was designed this way. The leak was coming from the bleeder valve and connections in the tool. I emptied a 4 gal air compressor within seconds.

the kit had an auto refill system. really good idea but again it didnt work as it should have. the idea was to attach a special filler cap to any bottle you have and use that as an auto refiller when you tipped it on its head and left it attached to the mc. reservoir. all the attachments were included. Another method included was an empty bottle to fill up with brake fluid and then use the attachments and tip it over into the m.c. reservoir. it was an awesome idea. here is the problem, when you attach the cap filler and turn the bottle upside down it would fill up the reservoir and it would keep going and spill out over the engine bay. yes, there was fluid everywhere and my paint in the bay got messed up. it didnt work at all. so, it was a useless item. I went through way more brake fluid than I would have thought I would ever need.

when i was done, it took way longer and it was just useless as when i vacuumed there was air coming out of it with the fluid. As a common practice we are looking to see when the air is no longer in the clear tubes, we would stop but since there is constant air bubbles in the tubes I had no idea when to stop.
To finish this job, I had to get a helper to finish it. After hours of trying this new tool, I found out with my help some corners had a little air left and others had a lot of air left in the lines.

ill add to the review once i do the motive bleeder.

Last edited:

zcspec

Reactions
City
Stanton
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 S3
You might like the motive bleeder better. They specifically tell you to keep pressure at no more than 15PSI. You can always ping me too, local, but you knew that already. LOL

OP

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
Thread Starter #3
i sure hope so, zcspec.

im also working on doing the orange reflector removal in the headlights. not sure if it will work but ill test it out once i can get to it.
brakes are first and are on the list to finish. ill be ordering the neuspeed ss brake lines. found out they are the best for what is available for the usdm s3.

also picking up some more brake fluid as ill be doing the Q3 and adding ss lines to it as well. the current pads are still beefy on that car so wont be changing that out..

im trying out the ATE DOT4 typ200 brake fluids.
ill do a review on that along with the motive bleeder. there is a reason for that.